9RTR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14th November Jodo/ Tienen/St Truiden line.

Go down

14th November Jodo/ Tienen/St Truiden line. Empty 14th November Jodo/ Tienen/St Truiden line.

Post  Moortz Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:22 am

We were requested to join up with an attritional party to the east of Tienen, watching the St Truiden road, where Jerry had set up a forward base and were using it to spring attacks on Tienen to tie us up before they hit Jodo. We wanted to make sure we held up any move Jerry had to take Tienen and squeeze Jodo from three sides.

Of course, when I got there in my new A15 Crusader II it was deserted. The french soldiers had all pissed off, and I was left sat in a tree line looking at a row of empty boxes and tents.

Then it started raining. Great. I was just debating whether or not to piss off when we saw some Jerry sentries mulling around near the tents. I knew the minute we opened fire they would have PaK's set up and peppering us, but I also realised with the quickness of the A15 I could reach the safety of the road before they knew what had hit them.

I sprayed the sentries with the MG, and kicked the engine on. full speed charge past the enemy tents, spraying the bushes and peppering the tent with AP rounds, we left them to it and headed back to Tienen.

Moortz
Admin

https://9throyaltankregiment.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

14th November Jodo/ Tienen/St Truiden line. Empty Re: 14th November Jodo/ Tienen/St Truiden line.

Post  Moortz Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 am

A while after, we were invited to try out one of those new lend-lease Stuart tanks. Pretty handy, very fast over the ground and a good gun. It sits a little high for ambushing, but never the less feels like a good solid tank. Jerry was still mulling around the forward base area, and we headed out that way to see if we could spot any enemy.

Suddenly reports came in that Tienen and Jodo were being hit hard. Very hard. Enemy infantry had infiltrated our lines and were holding buildings in both towns. Thinking Jerry was bound to bring up some armour, we settled down to intercept any panzers coming down the east road.

The sounds of distant battle were carried over the treetops, but nothing came our way. Then, I saw the glint of a rifle barrel off in the distance. A radio check showed nothing friendly that way. If there is one thing I hate more than enemy sappers, its enemy ATR's. I drilled him with co-ax. Another EI popped his head over a berm, and I sprayed the bushes and trees around him with HE and MG rounds. A little close to the enemy area, discretion won the day over valour and I pulled back along the east road. Just in time it seems, as an enemy tank platoon was spotted just behind my position!

I pulled off the road and waited. It started raining again! Soon I heard the unmistakeable clank of Panzers, and saw the grey turret and commander cupola of an enemy tank just behind a hill in front of me. Another Panzer followed him, and I trained my gun on the area where I expected them to come out. half a degree lead. He appeared from behind the hill, a new Panzer IIIH going full speed on the road. Bang! first shot hit his hull. He kept going. Bang! second shot into the rear compartment, causing brown smoke and the panzer to slow down. I checked behind him for the other two panzers, and saw a ball of fire in the trees. someone else must have taken out the other two, so I turned my attention back to the smoking Panzer ahead of me. BANG! Sweet spot, right between the tracks, and the enemy tank exploded.

A third explosion to the east signalled the end of the enemy armour platoon, and a message of congratulations from the High Command came over the radio. We soon kicked the remaining Jerry infantry out of the town, and I took the Stuart back to the motor pool.

Moortz
Admin

https://9throyaltankregiment.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum